In Queensland about 98% of abortions are for social reasons. That is, 98% of abortions in Queensland are abortions of convenience and they have nothing to do with the mothers health or foetal disability.
Up until October 2018 abortion sat under the Criminal Code in Queensland, with allowance for abortion if a women's physical or psychological health was under threat. Even under this legal system there were around 14,000 abortions a year in Queensland, a woman could easily obtain an abortion up to 20 weeks gestation (about a 5 month old baby).
In October 2018 radical abortion up to birth laws passed in Queensland which removed all restraint from abortion and have given abortionists free reign. The law is called the Termination of Pregnancy Act and it was the work of a Labor State Government, who had extreme abortion laws as part of its policy platform going into the November 2017 election.
It one of the most brutal and extreme abortion laws in the world. It's to our state’s great shame that a full-term healthy baby of a healthy mother can be legally aborted for any reason - such is the sick extremity of our laws.
Here are the main parameters of the Termination of Pregnancy Act:
- Abortion “on request” (no questions asked) to 22 weeks gestation.
- Abortion from 22 weeks up to birth for any reason provided a second “doctor” signs off. But the second “doctor” can be a second abortionist - there is no requirement for impartiality. The "sign-off” by the second doctor can be merely a phone call or email - there is no requirement for the second approving doctor to see the woman. There is no legal penalty if there is no second doctor - a law without a penalty is no law at all.
- Sex-selective abortion is legal.
- Doctors are compelled to refer for abortion.
- Absolutely NO “safeguards” for women considering abortion.
- No ban on the particularly brutal partial-birth abortion technique.
- Babies born alive in failed abortions are left to die.
- No comprehensive data reporting on abortion.
- No requirement to anaesthetize a baby prior to an abortion (including no pain relief given to late-term babies prior to an abortion).
We are determined that these laws will not stand. Join the fight today.