Abortion in Queensland & Abortion in Australia
Queensland’s Termination of Pregnancy Act passed in October, 2018, under a Labor State Government.
It one of the most brutal and extreme abortion laws in the world. It's to our state’s great shame that a full-term healthy baby of a healthy mother can be legally aborted for any reason - such is the sick extremity of our laws.
- Abortion “on request” (no questions asked) to 22 weeks gestation.
- Abortion from 22 weeks up to birth for any reason provided a second “doctor” signs off. But the second “doctor” can be a second abortionist - there is no requirement for impartiality. The "sign-off” by the second doctor can be merely a phone call or email - there is no requirement for the second approving doctor to see the woman. There is no legal penalty if there is no second doctor - a law without a penalty is no law at all.
- Sex-selective abortion is legal.
- Doctors are compelled to refer for abortion.
- Absolutely NO “safeguards” for women considering abortion.
- No ban on the particularly brutal partial-birth abortion technique.
- Babies born alive in failed abortions are left to die.
- No comprehensive data reporting on abortion.
- No requirement to anaesthetize a baby prior to an abortion (including no pain relief given to late-term babies prior to an abortion).
We are determined that these laws will not stand. Join the fight today.
Find out how your Queensland MP voted on the abortion laws here.